In a matter of a couple days I purchased and read the Kindle version of Carey Nieuwhof’s new book, Leading Change Without Losing It. First of all, this is one book that I recommend all leaders to read. Even if you are not facing change right now in your ministry, you
probably will at some point.
Second of all, some leaders love to be in environments of change; however, the people that follow these leaders tend to not always share the same enthusiasm. The true challenge of change is not how we change, but who will follow throughout this change. A matter that Carey writes about and effectively coaches the reader through.
As a family pastor at a replanted church, we have undergone some incredible changes. I must admit that reading this book encouraged me greatly but also offered some great insight I wished I had when I first began serving at my current church. Here are some popular highlights:
- “People who lead change without losing it develop strategies that lead to the right focus on the right things at the right moment.”
- “Change challenges assumptions, and people react when assumptions are challenged.”
- “Not only do leaders lose their jobs over change, something worse happens: leaders lose heart when their hopes for change die.
- “When you listen to the loudest voices, you miss the most important voices.”
- “It’s actually impossible to move to what was; you can only move to what will be.”
- “Leaders need to keep their focus on who they want to reach, not just who they want to keep, in every season.”
- “If you want to create a vision that inspires others, don’t make it about yourself or simply the needs of your organization.”
- “One of the most important questions you’ll ever answer as a leader is this: Will you focus on the people you want to reach, or the people you want to keep?”
- “So when you consider the 10 or 100 who might leave your church if you change, just pause to remember the almost 10,000 who aren’t coming because, so far, you have failed to change.”
Carey is a wonderful writer; very easy to read but extreme powerful in wisdom and insight when it comes to the challenges leaders face in their pursuit to bring change.
Get it Now:
If you missed the stellar deal then enter to win a signed copy of Leading Change Without Losing It! We are giving away 3 signed copies on Friday, Dec. 21. To enter the giveaway do the following:
1) Tweet the following (copy & paste)
@trevormclee is giving away three signed copies of Leading Change Without Losing It. Enter here: http://bit.ly/SBSRVT #tlgiveaway
2) Leave a comment below about a change- small or big- you want to see at your church.
3) This is not required; but will make me happy. Subscribe to my blog!