Yet the news about him spread all the more, so that crowds of people came to hear him and to be healed of their sicknesses. But Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed. (Luke 5:15-16)
- The frontline- real life ministry- is happening on the frontlines of children’s ministry.
- Most of the problems in our ministry are caused, and made worse, because we run too fast for too long.
- If you are going to have deep friendships, they are going to take time.
- Why are we busy?
- If we are busy, we feel important
- If we slow down, we’ll have to be honest about our hearts
- If the enemy can’t make us bad…he makes us busy.
- There are two rhythms I want you to get back to:
- Honor the Sabbath- not just a day off- set aside a time to receive God’s gift of rest for me. It is a gift that God wants to give us- what restores your soul?
- To lonely places to prayer; the problem with alone is that it is hard to find a place to be alone.
- There are two reason people work more than 50 hours a week: 1) the task is too big, or 2) not capable of doing the job at hand
- By choosing Sabbath, we are protecting and rebelling against our innate desire to trust and worship out self-sufficiency.
- 40% of Americans do not use all their vacation days – 300 million vacation days per year.
- The disconnected world is where God lives.
- My primary job as a parent is to tell/show my kids how to connect with God.
- Withdraw-refill-then return. Withdraw from ministry, get refilled with God’s Spirit and then return to the ministry.
- Shabbat Shalom- May you find God in your rest, and may you find that rest is found in God alone.
- Learn today to disconnect and be with God.
I am in a fun season of ministry right now and when Brady opened his talk with the warning that our peace could be stolen without notice…it grabbed my attention. When we run too hard for too long…we end up burning out. The challenge I received was that my peace cannot be stolen; I most embrace it and protect it. Looking at Jesus we discover a rhythm that Jesus functioned with; withdraw, refill and return. This routine is something I am taping on my computer screen because my peace- although strong now- can be stolen without knowing it. When that happens…my fun season of ministry can become a miserable season of life.