Kathie Phillips has served in some capacity of Children’s Ministry since the age of 13. Currently she is the Director of Children’s Ministry (Birth – Grade 5) at Central Presbyterian Church in Baltimore, Maryland. Over the years, she has served in both volunteer and paid staff leadership roles. In addition, Kathie has had the privilege to lead numerous Children’s Ministry workshops in the Baltimore/Washington, DC area. Recently she just ‘spread her wings’ and branched out into writing. This is Kathie Phillips and this is how she works…
Hometown: Baltimore, Maryland
Current Ministry: Director of Children’s Ministry, Central Presbyterian Church
Current mobile device: iPhone 4
One word that best describes how you work: Focused – when I work, I’m extremely focused on the task at hand.
What apps/software/tools can’t you live without?
- Mail Chimp– Mail Chimp enables her to communicate with beautiful templates that go out to her volunteers and parents.
- Dropbox– The preteen ministry lessons are shared with volunteers through dropbox. On a side note she uses preteenministry.net curriculum.
- Sign Up Genius- A free system that enables her volunteers to pick and choose which days they would like to serve.
- CCB (Church Community Builder)– A general database for the whole church; holding address, family information and contact info.
What’s your workspace like?
A desk, lots of file folders and even more shelving to house all of my books – I have a ton of books.
What’s your best time-saving trick?
Write everything down – leave nothing to memory.
Besides your phone and computer, what item can’t you live without?
Sirius XM Radio
What do you listen to while you work?
Pandora with all of my favorite stations – Israel Houghton, Travis Cottrell, Fred Hammond, Anthony Evans, Britt Nicole, Francesca Battistelli
What everyday thing are you better at than anyone else?
Doodling while I’m having a telephone conversation – I’ve made some pretty awesome creations!
What’s your God time like?
My Bible, my Jesus Calling devotional and my journal. I keep everything next to my bed so that it’s the first thing I see in the morning.
What Bible Version(s) do you use?
NLT (New Living Translation) primarily but also NIV (New International Version)
What are you currently reading? What book would you recommend?
- The Power of Team Leadership by George Barna
- Lean In by Sheryl Sandberg
- Making Your Children’s Ministry the Best Hour of Every Kid’s Week by Sue Miller & David Staal – it should be required reading for every kidmin leader.
What’s the best advice you’ve ever received?
Take the time to get to know your church’s culture, volunteers and the ins and outs of ministry before making significant changes in a new environment.
What blogs do you enjoy reading the most?
- Relevant Children’s Ministry by Dale Hudson- Dale not only writes daily but his blogs hold amazing suggestions, ideas and “behind the scenes” of his children’s ministry.
- Lemon Lime Kids by Amy Dolan- Amy has taken on a new role at Willow Creek and her blog has given some awesome suggestions on “starting” up a new ministry.
- Inside Northpoint Kids (Northpoint Community Church)- Really gives wonderful ideas to equip your children’s ministry.