Keith Ferrin is a speaker, storyteller, and author who strives to help people realize that the living Word of God is a reality – not a phrase. I actually hold to the idea that people can believe the Bible is not only true and applicable, but also fun, engaging, and enjoyable. In 1997 he founded – That You May Know Ministries – which exists to help people fall in love with God’s Word. This is Keith Ferrin and this is how he works.
Hometown: Kirkland, WA
Current Ministry: KeithFerrin.com
Current computer: 13 inch Lenovo Yoga
Current mobile device: Galaxy S4
One word that best describes how you work: Mobile
What apps/software/tools can’t you live without?
- WordPress– The platform used for blogging. Keith’s blog utilizes the “Get Noticed” theme, and WordPress enables quick visual editing, podcasts, events and posting blogs.
- Windows Live Writer – To actual type up the posts
- For podcasting he uses Audacity, and to create the tags he utilized MP3 Tag Editor.
- Skydrive– to keep and organize files…but also share for collaborative work
- Hootsuite/Facebook- social media is an important tool for Keith…enabling him to have conversations, post content and engage his readers.
- YouVersion Bible – for quick lookup and comparing translations
- Logos Silver– for Bible study
- OneNote- quick note taking on the go, syncs to all my devices
What’s your workspace like?
What’s your best time-saving trick?
For Keith the best time-saving trick is closing Outlook, turning off the phone and focus on the project at hand. For him, the idea of multi-tasking is a myth. For instance, when he writes his post in “multi-tasking” mode it takes almost 2-3 times as long as when he focuses only on writing.
Besides your phone and computer, what item can’t you live without?
The DVR. The ability to skip through the commercials and watch the few shows he loves when he wants to watch them.
What do you listen to while you work?
Preferably Keith does not listen to anything while he works. Occasionally he will listen to some instrumental piano or guitar music. However, when it comes to writing silence wins out…other projects he’ll crank up the music.
What everyday thing are you better at than anyone else?
People have told him that his ability to speak and write to a broad audience while keeping a “conversational” feel.
What’s your God time like?
Keith gets up at 6am, comes down to the smell of coffee (which he programmed the night before), grab a cup and read his Bible. Keith has a specific spot in his living room (where I accidentally sat during the interview) which helps him “be still.”
What Bible Version(s) do you use?
When internalizing God’s Word Keith prefers the NIV(84) but has recently been doing more reading with the NLT. When it comes to studying the Word, he adds the ESV to the mix.
What are you currently reading? What book would you recommend?
- “The In-Between” & “Wrecked” by Jeff Goins
- “Forgotten God” by Francis Chan
- Lately, Keith has been listening to more podcasts.
What’s the best advice you’ve ever received?
- Be fully present where you are.
- In this day of age of social media the spirit of generosity is a must Give away as much as you can.
What blogs do you enjoy reading the most?
- Private Facebook groups. Keith loves having online conversations- engaging with others is a must for him.
- Jeff Goins